Welfenspeise (Welf pudding) is a dessert from the region of Hannover named after the royal family, the Welfs. It is two-coloured and in the colours of the house of the Welfs (white and yellow) and it was created for the 200th anniversary of the house of Welf.
500ml of milk
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 packs of vanilla sugar
4 tablespoons of food starch
250ml of white wine (or apple juice if made without alcohol)
- Stir the food starch and vanilla sugar into 6 tablespoons of milk. Bring the remaining milk to a boil and stir the mix into the hot milk.
- Separate 2 eggs and whisk the eggwhite until firm. Carefully mix with milk and fill into small dessert glasses.
- Mix egg yolks and the extra egg, sugar and wine / apple juice in a bowl in a hot water bath unitl foamy. Add on top of the first layer into the dessert glasses.
- Cool in a fridge for about one hour, maybe more.
- Decorate with chocolate slivers or chocolate leaves.